Losing a job isn’t easy. Nonetheless, it is important that we respond well to the whole experience. This checklist should be of help.
- Maintain professionalism during your termination process.
- Ask your employer politely when to expect your final paycheck.
- Find out from your employer when your insurance benefit will end.
- Ask the employer whether they will provide a severance package.
- Start out and look for another job.
- Talk to your loved ones.
- Maintain a positive attitude.
- Find help from the right people.
- Look at the housing alternatives to cut costs.
- Apply for the right energy assistance programs
- Find alternative cheaper energy sources.
- Look for the other employment programs/services.
- Polish your resume.
- Work and tweak your network once again contacting all.
- Prepare a manageable household budget
- Try to save what you can.
- Lower monthly bills
- Negotiate with your vendors.
- Lower your utilities by using energy saving steps.
- Determine other income generation activities.
- Cancel any unnecessary bills or other memberships.
- Notify all your creditors that you lost your job.
- Meet with your attorney
- Review your termination
- Review your severance package
- Don’t sign severance package without reading it first with the attorney.
- Contact your savings planner
With this checklist, you should be able to get all your needs under check in a short while once you lose your job. Take your time to follow it through.