No one wants to lose the people they love, but death is inevitable and once in a while we bid farewell to our departed. Painful as it is, it’s important that we do everything right. Here is the best checklist for any funeral.
Notify the Responsible Authorities
- This includes notifying the police and should be done if death occurs outside the hospital or nursing home.
- The authorities will notify the relatives and next of kin.
- They may also call the funeral home for the ideal schedule.
Contact the Funeral Home
- Discuss and determine who will take responsibility for all the funeral expenses for the purposes of billing.
- Get a funeral director.
Responsibilities of the Funeral Director
- Help you with the planning process.
- Help to determine best method for burying/ interring the body including cemetery land with deed, type of vault, and mausoleum.
- Select the casket such as Wood, Metal, Cardboard (cremation) – Urn and determine if it will be open/ closed.
- Enlighten you more on the burial laws.
- Determine the best burial attire
- Choose the best jewelry including union and association membership pins, watches, earrings, necklaces, tie tacks, cuff links, etc.
- If you need a funeral service, consider when it will be done: (before/after burial or cremation) and where it will be held: (funeral home, church/temple/mosque or graveside).
- Decide on obituary and publication journals (local, print, and internet)
- Decide on the type of flower arrangements (for the family, relatives, and well-wishers).
- Casket Spray
- Lid arrangements
- Matching baskets
- Specialty pieces (floral hearts, crosses, and bible)
- Pictures/ Photos
- Decide on who delivers eulogy
- Consider deceased special accomplishments (Athletic, Political, and Religious)
- Print cards
- Arrange for pallbearers
- Choose funeral tunes, songs, and music
- Arrange gravesite transportation
- Choose a grave marker (engraved stones)
- Choose whether to have a special gathering
- Get accommodations
It’s painful to lose our loved ones. But what else can make us happier than to know their souls rest in peace than a good send off? Add your thoughts and let’s give our loved ones a befitting sendoff.