Without proper care, your basement can become one of the filthiest places in your home. It is therefore pretty important that you maintain and care for you basement in the best possible way. Here is a checklist that experts suggest could help.
Basement Maintenance Tips
- Get a humidity checker.
- Keep the area dry to keep mold away.
- Maintain normal / human-comfort range temperature.
- Keep your items off the basement floor.
- Use plastic shelving units to organize your gear.
- Do a sweep at least once a year.
- Remove the things that you don’t need.
- Donate the used items to charity, or sell them.
- Organize smaller, items into containers.
- Arrange large, bulky, and hard to store items in a corner.
- Maintain the gutters every spring.
- Remove leaves, snowballs, and debris from gutter.
- Install window well covers.
- Patch cracks in the driveway.
Cleaning Up Flooded Basement
- Do not walk in a flooded basement with any electrical systems.
- Shut off all power or call the electric company.
- Get a sump pump that can handle the volume of water.
- Use water or wet dry vacuum for smaller quantities of water.
- Wash down and disinfect walls, floor, fixtures, and furniture.
- Check all other systems to ensure they were not affected by the flooding.
- Dry everything off.
- Run fans to remove moisture.
- Open windows.
- Repair and/or replace materials damaged.
Keep your basement clean, hygienic, and super organized with these tips. Remember, a journey of a thousand miles begins at one. It’s your time to start with your basement and get it on point. Good luck!